6.0 on Dell 1850 with PERC4e/DC RAID?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Jan 6 18:43:18 PST 2006

On Jan 6, 2006, at 6:38 PM, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> We'll only be mirroring the internal drives too for now - the 4e/DC
> seems
> to be the only RAID option on the 1850 with battery-backed cache, and
> doesn't cost much more for the extra peace-of-mind.

Then you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that the 4e/Si has a
battery too.  I certainly was... and it even has 256MB of cache RAM.
Quite the bargain!  I'll send you screen shots of the config menus in
private email.

>> Unfortunately for me, the latest equipment I just got only takes low-
>> profile cards, and LSI doesn't offer a dual channel RAID card in low-
>> profile configuration... so I need to look at adaptec.
>
> This is on your x4100?  Nice machine.  We have a v20z with dual
> Opteron
> 270s that I totally love.  Looking at getting an x4100 too... sadly
> these
> are product development machines so they'll be running RedHat and
> Solaris.
> Doesn't the x4100 have h/w RAID built in?  Or does that not work with
> FreeBSD?

Yes, this is the X4100.  It only has room for two low-profile PCI-X
cards, which the 320-2X certainly is not.  Curiously, LSI has on
their web site some big announcements about some deals with Sun to
use their products, so one would hope they would have a low-profile
high-end card.  Currently they only have a low-end card that is low
profile.

I'm biting the bullet and getting an Adaptec 2230 low profile card.
I hope it is fast.  if not, then back to the drawing board... sigh.