6.0 on Dell 1850 with DRAC4 management card?

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Fri Jan 6 09:20:06 PST 2006

Hej there,

Ralph Hempel wrote:
> Yes, you get that too. Full hardware power down. Wait as long as
> you want, then power the machine up. It's not the same as a remote
> reboot where you HOPE the server comes up far enough to get
> a console session.

Well, if the BIOS can do console redirection, the server will come up
far enough ;)
If I don't see a BIOS screen, although console redirection is enabled,
there's something really really wrong...

> Plus you don't need anything mote than an Ethernet connection to
> your existing infrastructure to make it all work.

same counts for a console server (say 48 ports, 1 U) and all servers
connected to it.
One IP adress, ethernet...

> If you are paranoid and/or have a lot of servers, you can
> put all the DRAC ports on a separate subnet and their own
> VPN...

I would do that anyway... IMO an out-of-band network belongs into its
own subnet (vlan) and you want to secure it in some way for remote
access (ssh only, VPN, whatever)

Marian