6.0 on Dell 1850 with DRAC4 management card?

Scott Mitchell scott+lists.freebsd at fishballoon.org
Fri Jan 6 05:57:22 PST 2006

Hi all,

On to my next question about running 6.0 on a Dell PE1850, since it seems
that the RAID card will work just fine...

I'm thinking about getting the machine with a DRAC4 remote management card.
This looks to be OS-independent (you can configure through the BIOS) so I
expect it will just work.  I've seen various posts talking about how it
tends to take over the keyboard and render the real console inaccessible,
but there are workarounds for that.

Does anyone have the console redirection working?  I'd like to leave the
'real' console (actually a USB keyboard attached to a KVM) active so the
machine is accessible to someone actually in the server room, but still be
able to get to the console remotely when necessary.  The Dell docs imply
that you can just point a browser at the DRAC and fire up a new console,
but I'd like to hear from someone who's done this with FreeBSD!

Apologies for all the dumb questions... I'd try all this stuff myself but
the hardware isn't here yet and has to go into production pretty quickly
once it arrives.  All the similar machines in the building are already
running Windows and someone would object if I 'liberated' any of them :)

Cheers,

	Scott