SCSI RAID card recommendation (1/2 height PCI-X U320 SCSI dual channel)

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Thu Jan 5 14:24:11 PST 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Vivek Khera wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm having a hard time finding 1/2 height U320 RAID cards
> with dual channels (I can't imagine how the connectors would fit,
> but hey I can hope).  Does anyone have any recommendations?
> Naturally I'm going to run 6.0-RELEASE on it.

Ok... seems that my only likely candidate is the Adaptec 2230SLP.
I'm not a big adaptec fan so I have little experience with these.
There was a discussion on the -scsi list  a year ago and the card is
listed as supported, but it is hard to find how stable these cards
are and how well they perform under heavy I/O + network load.

The only other aac controller I have is a Dell PERC type which is god-
awful slow, but I hear that's dell's fault not adaptec's.  I don't
know what to believe there.  That card is quite stable however.

Any experiences with this that anyone wishes to share?