FreeBSD Update is the binary update solution [Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006]

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Thu Jan 5 01:34:07 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:26:44AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> How do you expect these two to be handled in a binary upgrade?
> I can't see how it's possible..

Look around.  Every major commercial OS does it just fine.  Most of the
open source OSes do it just fine.  Debian had probably the easiest to use
system, and they've risen, owned the world and fallen all while FreeBSD has
been debating this issue.

> I don't think integrating it with the core OS (whatever that means) will
> magically fix this.

If you knew what it meant, you would understand why it would help.

> Not having run jails I am not very qualified to comment

Exactly.  Sorry, not trying to be rude but if you have never felt the pain
don't try and say it doesn't exist.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek