problems with wifi

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Wed Jan 4 01:47:21 PST 2006

On Saturday 31 December 2005 22:14, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Bill Paul wrote:
> >>yes, i can load if_ath, wireless card is found and i can set it up as
> >>ath0, but i still have no signal (and there are many ap's - i can see
> >>with different pcmcia card)
> >

> > I think the wireless enable switch controls the connection to the
> > antenna(s), and is a separate device from the NIC itself that varies
> > in implementation depending on the laptop. The NDIS driver only knows
>
> 	<...ndis related stuff deleted...>
>
> Handling this in the ath driver is actually very simple; I've just never
> done it 'cuz none of my laptops have the this setup to test with.  When
> you hit the switch the driver gets an interrupt from the ath card and
> can then toggle the state of the rfkill pin.  If you run the latest code
> out for testing there is also a sysctl that you can use to control this
> manually.

ok until here but this wlan-buttons on notebooks indicate if the "antena is on
or off"
- by blinking when on but not associated
- and lit when on and associated to an SSID
- and the off is obvious.

this behaviour worked fine until 6.0B5, later versions the light stays off

even if the ath has this rf switch it does not work on this wlan-button-light
issue

I do not know if the 6.0b5 had this switch or not but I know that this feature
is certainly important and it is missing since then.

Certainly it should be hardware related. On windows and fedora the light
blinks soon the motherboard is probed but with freebsd it started blinking
soon some configuration is done, independent if kldloading it at runtime or
at boot by loader.conf

João