OK - I'm stumped - where IS stable? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but I looked in the handbook...

David Syphers dsyphers at u.washington.edu
Sun Jan 1 16:28:42 PST 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 04:15 pm, Mitch (Bitblock) wrote:
> The handbook
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.h
>t ml#STABLE) references
> ftp://snapshots.jp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ - which doesn't seem
> to contain any 6.0 files newer than 2004?

Monthly snapshots are at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/

> Or am I missing something?

Most people track stable via source updates and building world (in the
handbook). When I install on a new machine I usually install the last
release, and then immediately do a source upgrade. That said, the jp daily
snapshots are a good resource, as are the monthly snapshots. The only formal
releases are, well, releases - 6.0-R, etc.

-David

--
"...which will go down in history as the
funniest parody of a Seattle Department of