Installing FreeBSD 6.0 on IBM BladeCenter HS20

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Tue Feb 28 21:26:48 PST 2006

Thus spake Stacey Roberts (stacey at vickiandstacey.com) [28/02/06 14:00]:
: > Thus spake Axel S. Gruner (asg at suedfactoring.com) [28/02/06 05:22]:
: > : go to boot loader prompt and type:
: > :
: > : unset acpi_load
: > : load ispfw
: > : load isp
: > : set hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1"
: > : boot
: > :
: > : With these options i am able to boot the installation cd, also the keyboard is
: > : working and, surprise surprise, with "load ispfw" i see also the drives in
: > : the SAN (LUNs).
: >
: > Do isp/ispfw do any funkiness with the keyboard?  Even when booting with
: > hint.atkbd.0.disabled="1", my keyboard still doesn't work.
:
: If the above procedure from Axel doesn't work for you, what exactly are you seeing at the moment. Does the keyboard
: still "stop working" after sysinstal loads?

Correct.  I suspect it stops working earlier, though.

(I wish the chassis' had a serial port.)

I've just been playing with various aspects of the above, as well as a few
other things, and what I'm seeing is that as soon as control is passed to
the kernel, all keyboard LEDs stop working.  They resume working when the
keyboard is detected -- which it is, and seemingly accurately -- but the
system doesn't respond to any key presses.

I've tried with and without ACPI, with and without ispfw, disabling atkbd,
setting atkbdc flags to 0x1, etc.  The USB hub is detected, and both the
keyboard and mouse are detected, but I have no control over the system
whatsoever.

I'd love to at least pull a boot -v from the system, but I have no way right
now to get at it.

  - Damian