6.1-prerelease: boot loader pause timer hangs

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 18:32:28 PST 2006

Hi,

I am keeping in sync with 6-Stable every now and
then. At present I have a problem with the pause
timer of the boot loader. In /boot/loader.conf I
have:

 autoboot_delay="3"

and as soon as the pause timer is supposed to count
down, it kind of hangs; actually, the cursor seems
to jump as if the number "3" is continuously printed
instead of a countdown. This 'hang' continues until
I hit the return key, after which the boot process
continues as usual.

When I remove the delay line in loader.conf, then
the loader displays a pause timer of "10", but
actually *immediately* continues as if the pause
timer is zero (so no delay at all).

I believe there's something wrong with the boot
loader in 6.1-Prerelease. Or has my PC become buggy?

Any idea what's the problem?
Anybody else sees this?

Regards,
Rob.

-------------------------------------
/boot/loader.conf has following lines:

 autoboot_delay="3" # 3 seconds pause timer
 if_rl_load="YES"   # PCI Ethernet
 random_load="YES"  # Pseudo device for SSH
 sio_load="YES"     # Serial (COM) ports

---------------------
/boot.config has this:

 -D