RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Feb 27 07:59:42 PST 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 8:56 PM, Ian Dowse wrote:

> They probably used 9600 for the boot blocks, and then switched to
> 115200 when /boot/loader started, so you didn't notice. Now the
> settings from the boot blocks get used by /boot/loader.

Please document this loudly in the UPGRADING file.  It caught me
totally by surprise that the console speed was now 9600.  I thought I
lost my serial console since the BIOS was booting up at 115200.  If
it weren't for the other error (ACPI) keeping the kernel from
booting, I would have realized it *before* I drove down to the office
late saturday night.  See, I needed a serial console to disable part
of acpi for debugging.... :-(

Anyhow, please, please document this in UPGRADING so others won't be
bitten by it.

Thanks!