RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Sun Feb 26 12:28:48 PST 2006

Ian Dowse wrote:
> The problem may be that your boot blocks were compiled with
> BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED set to 9600. Try reinstalling them with e.g.
> `disklabel -B ad0s1' (make sure you get the right device name -
> it should be the slice that you boot from).

Argh, shouldn't have done this without thinking on a dangerously
dedicated disk. :)  But after recovering the partition table with fdisk,
the new boot blocks work as expected, thanks.

> Previously both /boot/loader and the boot blocks would override the
> serial port speed according to BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED, but I believe
> that since the recent change, loader will assume that if the boot
> blocks requested a serial console, then they will have already set
> up the correct speed.

Yes, so people should be urged to upgrade their boot blocks, in case of
a non-binary upgrade.  (I assume that a binary upgrade WILL install
fresh boot blocks?)