RELENG_6: serial console drops back from 115200 to 9600 baud

Ian Dowse iedowse at iedowse.com
Sat Feb 25 16:34:05 PST 2006

In message <4400E70F.2020902 at andric.com>, Dimitry Andric writes:
>Ed Maste wrote:
>> The way this is supposed to work is that you can put -S<speed>
>> in /boot.config, which gets used by boot2, and the loader then
>> detects that the serial console is already in use and defaults
>> to the existing speed.
>
>Ah, I didn't try that yet.  However, I would expect that the
>BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED override in /etc/make.conf would simply continue
>to work as it had.
>

>> comconsole_speed="115200" in loader.conf should override it
>> if you don't want to replace boot2 or change /boot.config.
>
>Yes, I've tried this, but it didn't work, or maybe I just didn't try
>hard enough. :)  I'll try it again with the 1.10.10.1 rev of comconsole.c.

The problem may be that your boot blocks were compiled with
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED set to 9600. Try reinstalling them with e.g.
`disklabel -B ad0s1' (make sure you get the right device name -
it should be the slice that you boot from).

Previously both /boot/loader and the boot blocks would override the
serial port speed according to BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED, but I believe
that since the recent change, loader will assume that if the boot
blocks requested a serial console, then they will have already set
up the correct speed.

Ian