SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 25 08:42:14 PST 2006

Hi,

>>>>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:46:48 +0200
>>>>> Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com> said:

rosti> "family = his_addr.su_family;" is really a good idea. But what is the
rosti> reason to check if IPv6 address of a remote client is IPv4 mapped and
rosti> assign AF_INET to a 'family' when that's true? The inithosts() doesn't
rosti> lookup for that address but for the server's hostname and optionally
rosti> virtual server's hostnames from /etc/ftphosts. I think it's unnecessary
rosti> and can even produce problems. IMHO "inithosts(family);" could be
rosti> called right after the "family = his_addr.su_family;" line.

No, when a local address of a connection is an IPv4-mapped IPv6
address, selecthost() does test it as a native IPv4 address.  So, we
need to lookup hostnames as an IPv4 in inithosts().  Please refer
selecthost() for detail.

> For ftp.c.diff, how about considering adding new option for timeout?

rosti> That was what I thought about when wrote my previous email. What name
rosti> could be good for that option? Is "-c seconds" (ftp Command reply
rosti> timeout in seconds) a good one?

I have no idea for now, but ftp(1) is a contrib software from NetBSD.
So, we need to discuss with the author of lukemftp.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/