Contributing to FreeBSD

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Feb 22 02:12:46 PST 2006

Ananth.G wrote:
> hi all,
>   I'm  a developer who has atleast 3-4 hrs of spare time daily and would
> like to contribute it in woking on FreeBSD, the OS i love. Im really
> interested in working on some part of freebsd kernel. It would be great
> if someone comes up with a good part in kernel to start with. It will
> greatly help if someone guides me and act as a mentor. I think the
> following info will help.
>
> Im a C,C++/unix developer with 1 yr exp.
> I work on P4 , celeron x86 hardware (on FreeBSD 6.0 -RELEASE).

There are two places to look:

1) The idea list, small and big ideas, there is a long list of
    projects for the kernel. see

   http://www.freebsd.org/projects/ideas/

2) Problem Reports: PR's with status "s" suspended are remarked as:

    "The problem is not being worked on, due to lack of information or
    resources. This is a prime candidate for somebody who is looking
    for a project to do. If the problem cannot be solved at all, it
    will be closed, rather than suspended."

    Of course, you can always take a look at an open PR.

    http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html

Cheers, Erik