Which PCI SATA controller?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Feb 20 13:06:37 PST 2006

hank at yerpso.net writes:

> Sorry ... just to clarify, this would be running 6.0 and it needs to be
> a 32bit card ... so as awesome as 3ware cards might be, it does me
> little good ...

What's the problem with 64-bit cards? Aren't PCI cards exchangable as
long as 1. the voltages match (i. e. your card must cope with 5 V if
your PCI slots are 5 V), 2. the card fits mechanically?

I know some 3Ware cards are too long; for instance, the 8006-2LP doesn't
fit into a FSC Primergy RX100S3's LP slot - it would bump into the
monstrous CPU cooler.

There are PCI cards that work with 3.3 and 5 V, they have two of these
notches. See <http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_msc_pcitech.pdf> for
discussion of voltages in PCI cards.

--
Matthias Andree