Need serious help with Dell D600 Latitude laptop and Power Management please :)

Dave Symonds dsymonds at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 19:49:18 PST 2006

On 2/20/06, Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> There are many things that can help.
>
> First, I don't see a reason for "-a adaptive" on powerd. If you are
> plugged in, why cut performance?

Often my laptop is not doing anything, so I drop the speed to minimise
power consumption, and thus heat and noise.

> Try "sysctl hw.acpi.cpu" and see what values you have for cx_lowest while
> on battery. It should be the largest "C" value available, usually 3C43
> or C4. This is very significant. To change this, use the following in
> rc.conf:
> economy_cx_lowest="LOW"
> This is now the default in -current, but that change has not gone into
> anything else.

I'll give this a go.

> If you can run without USB, take it out of yo9ur kernel. It will keep
> your system way to busy, even if nothing is plugged into any USB port.

This might be trickier. I'll have to do some fancy shell scripting to
load/unload kernel modules. Most of the time I'm on battery I'm not
using any USB devices, so this should cut my power drain considerably.

Dave.

--
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords
  is no basis for a system of government."