Ignoring firewall startup scripts

Rick Helmus rhelmus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:00:37 PST 2006

Hello all,
Today I upgraded to stable 6.1. Everything went successfull, however when I
booted I found out that I lost internet.

I have the following IPFW options in my kernel:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

rc.conf:

hostname="Rick-FBSD.lan"
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
ipv6_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
firewall_type="open"
#ipv6_firewall_enable="YES"
#ipv6_firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="rl0"
natd_flags=""
moused_enable="NO"
moused_type="NO"
saver="daemon"
usbd_enable="YES"
#samba_enable="YES"
#cupsd_enable="YES"
vpnbridge_enable="NO"
#allscreens_flags="MODE_280"

After typing 'ipfw list' I found out there was onlyone rule (65535) was
about blocking anything. This is the default afaik. Before upgrading I had
some other rules too (simply using the "open" IPFW firewall type from
rc.firewall).

So I'm assuming the ipfw scripts aren't called anymore?

I modified the kernel to allow anything by default so I got inet again, but
if anyone know a better solution... :)

Cheers,
Rick