kernel panic on 6.1-PRERELEASE with Lexar Jumpdrive2

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Feb 14 23:43:31 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-Feb-14 20:01:54 -0800, Joseph Olatt wrote:
>Using Peter Jeremy's suggestion, I was able to get a backtrace. Since I
>couldn't figure out an easier way to capture the backtrace, I
>transcribed by hand from the console.

A serial console would be much easier if you've got another system with
a serial port.  Whilst the backtrace is a start, you've left out the
actual panic message and associated register dump.  Is it a 'panic'
or some sort of trap?  I don't quickly see call to panic() in probedone().

Whilst you're at it, if you have a debug kernel, can you try running
kgdb on it and "list *0xZZZZZZZZ" where ZZZZZZZZ is the eip value
listed in the kernel trap message (if any) [not the 'trap 0x1' in the
backtrace].

>I still wish I could get the system to dump and save the core. I still
>haven't figured out why the system freezes in the middle of a core dump.

Are you dumping to an ATA or SCSI disk?  If the latter, it's possible that
the panic has upset the CAM subsystem (though this isn't supposed to happen).

--
Peter Jeremy