clock reverts to epoch on boot?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Feb 14 07:51:24 PST 2006

At 04:45 AM 2/14/2006, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com> wrote:
>  > CPUTYPE=pentium4
>
>Better use "?=".

Yes, I saw that error and corrected it. Thanks. That wasn't the
source of my problems actually, but I at least have it specified properly now.

>  > CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe
>  > COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
>I recommend not to overide those two at all.  Especially
>your CFLAGS setting might generate broken code because
>there are sources which are not aliasing-clean, which can
>break with any optimizations beyond -O, unless you also
>specify -fno-strict-aliasing.

Really? Are there any current examples of such? I've never run into
this myself, but I'm sure you wouldn't be recommending it if it wasn't true.

What about -funroll-loops and -ffast-math? I see a lot of people
using those options in general as well.

I actually found one reference from someone claiming -O3 is good in
CFLAGS and -O2 for COPTFLAGS although I have read a lot of things
about why not to use -O3 in CFLAGS and that it's not supported at all
with buildworld, so I'm not really interested in using that at all,
even with ports.

>The defaults are "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe" for
>CFLAGS, and for COPTFLAGS it's "-O -pipe" if DEBUG is
>defined (the default in GENERIC), otherwise "-O2 -pipe
>-fno-strict-aliasing".

Is -O2 safe on COPTFLAGS if you have debugging disabled in the
KERNCONF? I usually disable it as I have no interest in debugging the
kernel (nor have I had problems where I've needed to... yet). I've
found references in the archives that it is desirable to get (keep?)
the kernel working with -O2 optimizations.

Any pointers appreciated. TIA!

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain