locale questions

Jan Schlesner schlesner at physik.TU-Berlin.DE
Mon Feb 13 20:09:02 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:32:18PM -0600, Bruce Burden wrote:
> 	Okay, OpenOffice 2.0 is now spewing out the error message:
>
> I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"
>
>   Hmmm. So, from what I understand from the documentation I have
>   looked at, this is because I do not have an entry in the /etc/
>   login.conf file covering this entry. Yes/no?

Sorry, I don't know, but you can also define the cahrset and lang
variables in your tcshrc, cshrc or bashrc (depends on the used shell).

>   Another thing - as I look in /etc/login.conf, I DO have a
>   Russian entry. Why? I assume this is a default, since I have
>   not done anything to /etc/login.conf previously.

Yes, you have a Russian entry in the login.conf - why not? In the
login.conf you can define several login classes and in the fifth column
of the master.passwd you can specify the login class for each user. If
no login class is specifed the login class "default" is used.

Jan
--
Jan Schlesner                           Tel: +49 30 314 27681
Institut für Theoretische Physik        Fax: +49 30 314 21130