Odd performance problems after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0-Stable

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Feb 12 23:47:24 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-Feb-12 18:27:47 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>This is not really a surprise. I know how running out of memory slows
>things down. What does bother me is why it went from 6 hours in V4 14
>hours on V6.

It could be that glimpse's memory access pattern makes it very
sensitive to the available RAM and a slight reduction is causing a
massive slowdown.

>Unfortunately, my old box is going away in two weeks and I doubt that
>I'll have much time to look at things before then. All I can say is
>that either the wired memory for V6 is up so much that I page and swap a
>lot mote or that the operations have slowed down way more than they
>should have.

Whilst you have access to the box, it might be useful to capture some
of the VM subsystem information for both 4.x and 6.x (eg a couple of
'sysctl vm' at known intervals) under stress.  This might help
identify where the problem is.

--
Peter Jeremy