questions about building releng_6

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Sun Feb 12 12:17:21 PST 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:29:10AM -0600, Z.C.B. wrote:
> I was just looking at building releng_6 on a releng_5 box. What I am
> wondering about is how to specify a location other than /usr/obj and

Just set the MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX variable in the environment to the
desired path, and the build system will use it instead of /usr/obj.
Keep in mind that you cannot set it on the make command line or in
make.conf, it must be set in the environment.  Also note that you
still can use /usr/obj if the RELENG_5 and RELENG_6 sources are at
different locations, like /usr/src and /usr/src-6, because the binaries
will be built in /usr/obj/usr/src and /usr/obj/usr/src-6, respectively.

> once I get it built, how do I do a install to a different path.

Just set DESTDIR (can be either an environment or make variable)
to the destination path.

> The 6.0 release has a bit of a problem booting on the board I have and
> was just looking at trying out releng_6 and seeing how it would go.

Note here that in order to get a new functional 6.x system while
keeping your 5.x system, you'll have to install 6.x to a free slice
or disk labelled, newfs'd, and mounted, e.g., under /mnt.  Unlike
with some other operating systems, you cannot easily have several
working FreeBSD installations in the same file tree: each FreeBSD
installation needs a tree of its own: /, /boot, /etc, /bin, /usr,
and all that.

--
Yar