USB Flash reader under RELENG_6: force GEOM rescan

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Feb 9 09:48:43 PST 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have USB multi-LUN flash reader which is identified under RELENG_6 as

umass0: GENERIC USB Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.8a, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <GENERIC USB Storage-CFC I19B> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
da1: <GENERIC USB Storage-MSC I19B> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 2
da2: <GENERIC USB Storage-SMC I19B> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da2: 40.000MB/s transfers
da2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da3 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 3
da3: <GENERIC USB Storage-SDC I19B> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da3: 40.000MB/s transfers
da3: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

when I insert flash into one of slots, I need to rescan da* providers, as
usually there is slice1 which should be mounted.

How can I achieve this? camcomtrol rescan does not help, and for now I've found
only *very* ugly workaround like

dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/da0 count=1

which results in error, but actually create GEOMs

Any hints? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,