Trouble with mounting USB stick as user

Michael Ekstrand lists at elehack.net
Thu Feb 9 06:35:47 PST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:27:12 +0100 (CET)
Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> To enable user mounts, there are three conditions:
> 1.  sysctl vfs.usermount=1
> 2.  The user must have read+write permission on the device
>     which is to be mounted.  This is usually accomplished
>     by creating a special group for this device.
> 3.  The user must _own_ the mountpoint (r/w permission is
>     not sufficient).

Excellent :-).

I now have my USB flash stick mounting as my regular user (and thanks
to [LoN]Kamikaze for the devfs.rules hints).

> Of course, an alternative is to use sudo (ports/security/sudo)
> or super (ports/security/super, which prefer).

That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't play so well with a GUI
file manager. Of course, some provide the option to use
sudo/gksu/whatever, but not ROX at this point AFAIK.

Again, thanks all for pleasantly proving me wrong :-).

- Michael