freeBSD 5.5 Prerelease ( 5.4 stable )

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:40:48 PST 2006

On 07/02/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 05:17:45PM -0800, Jon Holstrom wrote:
> > i cvsuped for 5.4 stable a few days ago.
> > server gave me 5.5 prerelease
>
> Right, because they're the same.
>
> > works good,
> >
> > gnome2-2.12 ( had to pkg_deinstall -r deinstall gnome 2.10)
> > Xorg 6.9.0
> >
> > just slow as can be
>
> This is unlikely since changing the name of the release doesn't
> magically make it slower, but if you really think so, then again,
> please explain.
>
> Kris

Saying 6 is preferable in every way is a sweeping statement, their are
numerous reasons why people may not want to jump to 6.0 just yet, I for
instance have found some issues in 6.0 which stop it working so well with my
hardware possibly due to the i386 code removal I dont know but that is what
might be it, and I use some software which isnt yet to be compatible with
6.x.  Hopefully all my problems will be resolved when 6.1 is released.

Chris