bge0 odd startup behaviour

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Feb 5 10:29:55 PST 2006

Hi

I noticed something that confuses me. During system startup and the
rc.d/ sequence, I get the following message:

bge0: link state changed to DOWN

To diagnose this, I put an 'ifconfig bge0' at the beginning of the
first rc.d script that is executed, and indeed that triggered the
message. During normal startup, the message appears during interface
configuration, but the link goes then back up almost immediately,
so this this this has no negative impact on startup.

The short time it takes from going DOWN and then back UP has the
possibility to confuse rc.d/ scripts that try to check whether an
interface has a carrier by looking at the output of ifconfig bge0.

Is what I described above normal? Does it happen with other drivers
too? Or did I find a bug? I'll try to check with -current as soon as
I can install it on this machine.

I am using FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #15: Tue Jan 31 21:25:42 CET 2006

Thanks, Tobias