dhclient in 6.0

Matt Dawson matt at mattsnetwork.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 10:08:11 PST 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 12:01, freebsd-stable-request at freebsd.org wrote:
>  many aspects of the network interface configuration
>    process were overhauled.

Which, I suppose, explains the yo-yo effect of my two xe (4) PC Cards, amongst
others, and why my wi (4) card no longer behaves itself.

Up-down-up-down-up-down...

I keep expecting it to either lose weight or make a mess in the slot <bg> One
is a Xircom RealPort, so it's not the "dongle", as is so often the case with
the CE3s. It works only if I force it to 10BaseT, half duplex, even manually
configured with ifconfig.

It's not all bad. ath and ndis cards behave themselves, as do my 3Com 905Bs
(if one discounts imp@'s PCI pointy hat of last week - there were many dead
rottweilers in my test machine at that point).

These are small prices to pay for 6.0's goodness. Without a doubt, 6.0 is the
best release I have used, bar none, and the WiFi features that wpaul@, sam@
et. al. have worked so hard to give us are excellent. sos@ deserves a mention
for the vastly improved ATA controller support list that nobody seems to
notice, too. FWIW, I did think the switch to OpenBSD's dhclient was poorly
thought out, since the ISC client did things like DDNS, which I needed. I
managed to work around the loss of these features, but it still feels like
I've an arm missing when configuring interfaces...
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at mattsnetwork.co.uk
MTD15-RIPE OpenNIC M_D9