ath0 timeout problem - again

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sun Dec 31 02:22:50 PST 2006

On Sunday 31 December 2006 01:33, Sam Leffler wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 18:29, Sam Leffler wrote:
> >> See my previous reply to you.  Lamont is directing you to look for
> >> stations in your network operating with power save enabled.
> >
> > even if there are stations with powersaving on we can do anything against
> > it
> >
> > this is an ISP environment where people connect with compatible hardware,
> > I do not agree that power management enabled on some of them could bring
> > the network down
>
> Sorry I don't understand your comment.  Noone has ever said having power
> save enabled in client sta's should be permitted to cause an ap to stop
> proper operation.

hum, but that is exactly what it ever appered to be

I relate a problem, in this case the AP stops transmitting
I get answers that there are power management issues on a client station

so what I did misunderstood here?

> I guess you still don't understand what 802.11 power save operation means.

probably right but I am not sure if I need to, this must be understood by whom
writes the driver I guess and who writes the driver should take care of that
the AP does not buffer packages endless until itself dies at the end with
full buffers

I believe that the ath driver when in hostap does not know that a sleeping
remote card is away for ever because it does NOT clear it's own buffer until
reboot/reload. I do not know why but I believe it does not send or read the
beacons to this sleeping station (I believe the AP should send a beacon
telling the station there are buffered packages), then when the station does
not wake up then the AP should discard this packages but it does not and over
the time the ath buffer fills up until then OACTIVE happens and the card is
gone ... as well as the AP :)

anyway this is another hot problem but not related to the problem of this
thread

--

João