Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Fri Dec 29 09:27:58 PST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:45:03AM +0800, lveax wrote..
> > seems there are many machines at freebsd.org network are still using
> > 4-STABLE now.
>
> There is a mix of versions in use, upgrading is done at the discretion
> of the admins team that controls the FreeBSD.org server farm.  That in
> turn is dependent on the amount of time admins have available etc etc.
>
> So what is the problem?

Indeed...I still run and admin a large number of 4-STABLE servers, and
even as I'm currently in the process of deploying 6-STABLE on my own
servers, I still regularly deploy 4-STABLE for customers of mine.

There's a lot to be said for the "why fix what isn't broken" train of
thought. I bet there are still a decent number of 2.2.8 boxes floating
around...perhaps there's even more to be said for version maturity in
general.

I was hoping to wait for 6.4-R before jumping to the 6 line, but 6.2 is
looking pretty solid for my purposes, so it seems like a great time to
start migrating. I'm curious if anybody else is planning to migrate a
large number of 4-STABLE boxes to 6-STABLE as of 6.2-R.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.