Background fsck causes kernel panic

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Dec 26 19:47:26 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 09:54:11AM +1100, Geoffrey Giesemann wrote:
> Running a fairly recent RELENG_6 SMP kernel, I had a nasty experience
> where filesystem corruption on a pair of RAID5 volumes on an arcmsr
> would cause the machine to panic during the background fsck.  This
> resulted in a merry crash-reboot-crash cycle until I booted on to an
> install CD, ran a foreground fsck and fixed the errors.

Yes, this is the danger when running bg fsck and your system
experiences a panic or other non-softupdates-safe source of filesystem
corruption.  As you discovered, the solution is to force a fsck to
repair all corruption and then proceed (optionally disabling bg fsck
permanently to prevent a recurrence ;-)

Kris