Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Dec 23 05:23:17 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 06:45:04AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> (2) The ports team will no longer work really hard (tm) to keep ports
> working there.  They will keep building packages, etc.

To clarify, we will be building 4.X packages as time and resources permit.
Fixing problems that show up there will no longer be a high priority.

As a reminder, the ports tree is not branched, so any changes to update a
port will also affect 4.X, whether or not these changes are "improvements"
with respect to it.

As a point of curiosity, I would like to hear from some of the people in
this thread who will continue to run 4.11 or 4-STABLE for a while, to find
out what ports they are relying on.  A note about whether you consider
security updates to be a critical issue would be interesting.  I will
summarize to the list.

Note: I am only interested in the data for machines used as servers.
Workstation users only have one real choice: to upgrade to 5.5 or 6.1/6.2.
Since the GNOME team no longer supports 4.X, and most desktop environments
wind up using some part of GNOME, using 4.X as a desktop is no longer
supported.

mcl