Communicating with the public (was Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support)

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri Dec 22 06:33:34 PST 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 10:13, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 22/12/06, Bill Moran <wmoran at collaborativefusion.com> wrote:
> > I could be wrong, but I get the impression that this whole EOL issue with
> > 4.x is partly a result of not reminding people when the EOL date for 4.x
> > is every 5 minutes.  The result is that it's just hitting home for a lot
> > of people now that it's the 11th hour.
>
> The trouble Squid had was its push to a new codebase (2.5 -> 3.0)
> without adequately considering what users wanted. After all, if users
> don't get any of what they want then there's probably no chance of any
> paid work out of it.. Users cried for new features but with the
> stability of the existing codebase. In the end the developers caved
> and provided Squid-2.6 which seems to have begun reinvigorating the
> project somewhat.

this is Interesting ...

you said in your former mail:

> (I have the same problem with the Squid project. Lots of people want
> Squid to do everything, noone's willing to hire programmers to fix up
> Squid to do these things and release the work back to the public. Then
> people complain that Squid doesn't have 21st century features. Grr.
> Sometimes I think we in the Squid project need better PR..)

In my opinion squid today is off the track.

Firstable seems that the squid project is mostly concerned about beeing a
proxy-server for small companies, doing nat and authentication and all this
nasty stuff

If you target this market there is indeed *NO* money, people hooking
corporate network on ADSL are looking for freestuff or cheapstuff.

squid-project forgot where the money is: in cache

since the trend with PtP application does not help at all squid should look
still deeper into cache performance because that is what people are willed to
spend money in.

but what does happen? this issues regarding squid's cache are turned down (on
squid mlists) and are ignored. coss and aufs on freebsd does not give
performance like diskd but nobody fixed this stupid cache-emptying problem.
Overall Freebsd problems are not taken serious and squid-chief seems to be
concerend about linux only.

so now I come back to my "..." at the top, interesting because even if you did
what users wanted you didn't got the results you wanted. So I guess you did
hear the wrong thing or you did hear the wrong people right? Or the product
was not on the right track.

What squid needs in my opinion is a kind of fork with a stripped real
cache-server without any proxy enhancements and targetting the real market
for it.  But that is only my opinion.

--

João