Fwd: Communicating with the public (was Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support)

Jeff Rollin jeff.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 06:23:41 PST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin at gmail.com>
Date: 22-Dec-2006 13:18
Subject: Re: Communicating with the public (was Re: Possibility for FreeBSD
4.11 Extended Support)
To: Bill Moran <wmoran at collaborativefusion.com>

The point being that you really have to use The Big Hammer to get your
> point across.  It's the same reason we have to see a McDonalds
> commercial _every_single_commercial_break_!  (egad I hate McDonalds)

Erm, no. We really /don't/! ;-)

Anyway ... in most of the F/OSS communities I'm involved with, we're
> under the mistaken idea that we can make an announcement and people will
> see/hear it.  Usually you have to make an announcement 6 or 7 times,
> worded differently each time, before it really hits home with the masses.
>
> I could be wrong, but I get the impression that this whole EOL issue with
> 4.x is partly a result of not reminding people when the EOL date for 4.x
> is every 5 minutes.  The result is that it's just hitting home for a lot
> of people now that it's the 11th hour.
>
> --

That would suggest that we either need to pay PR/advertising people for
their work, or get "volunteer advertisers" as excited about our projects as
we are.

Or both

My £0.02

Jeff

--
Now, did you hear the news today?
They say the danger's gone away

Adapted from Genesis, "Land of Confusion"

http://latedeveloperbasketcase.blogspot.com