Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Garrett Wollman wollman at khavrinen.csail.mit.edu
Thu Dec 21 19:17:24 PST 2006

spork at bway.net writes:

>-5.x was never really for production use, in the same way 3.x never
>was.

Why do people continue to say this?  Many sites have used, are still
using, and plan to continue to use, 5.x in production.  ftp5/cvsup3
ran 5.x until a few months ago, and I have a netnews transit server
and a Web server that still run 5.5.  I'm slowly moving things off 5.x
for the better support and performance of 6.x, but it's been stable
for me in two fairly tough production applications for quite some
time.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wollman at csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry