sshfs/nfs cause server lockup - resolved

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 16:19:40 PST 2006

On 19/12/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 08:20:21PM +0000, Chris wrote:

> > >OK, good to know.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Kris
> > >

> > Some bad news, I was offline for a day here, then I logged in today
> > reattached to screen, and was greeted with a timeout message to the
> > sshfs server, at this point server still functioning fine.  When I ran
> > the sshfs command again it locked, with only pings responding and had
> > to hard reboot it.
> >
> > I will setup my local machne now so I can do proper debugging for you.
>
> OK, it's (still) probably an sshfs bug though.
>
> Kris

Ok how to repeat the bug everytime.  Works on sshfs and nfs.

First.

The server died again (hub having its own problems so causing lots of timeouts).
This time instead of remounting I tried to ls the 2 mounts simply list
empty dirs, first dir worked and 2nd dir caused lockup, so its some
kind of problem with the filesystem nodes or something.

With this in mind on my local box I yanked out the network cable
causing a unexpected timeout, box hung, tried to do the ddb procedure
but didnt work, I may have been doing it wrong.

Booted local box again mounted nfs over internet and tried same thing
yanked out network cable, same thing accessing the dir where nfs mount
to hung server hard reboot needed.

Local box using 6.2-RC as well.  GENERIC kernel default make.conf.

Chris