ntpd flipping between PLL and FLL mode

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 21 10:22:27 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:51:43PM -0500, Michael Proto wrote:
> I made the change some time ago after combing newsgroups for this issue,
> so my memory is a little hazy, but I seem to remember something about
> the FLL/PLL switch being right at about 1024s. Check the Tuning section
> here:
>
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm

An interesting read.  It doesn't give you an exact solution, but it
does hint at what you've taken the time to point out above.

I've set "maxpoll 9" on each "server" entry, on each of our boxes.
So far (48+ hours later), still no signs of FLL/PLL switching.  Very
cool.

Thank you very much for this recommendation.  :-)

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |