negative runtime etc., the story continues

Václav Haisman V.Haisman at sh.cvut.cz
Tue Dec 19 15:23:00 PST 2006

Hi,
I wrote about how FreeBSD 6.1 RC1, with latest RELENG_6 kernel, prints loads
of "calcru: runtime went backwards..." and "calcru: negative runtime..."
messages when the FreeBSD runs as virtual server under Microsoft Virtual
Server 2006 R2. When I wrote this I was compiling and installing lots of
packages, setting up the OS. Now that it is idle I have noticed one quite bad
thing. Any process that sleeps on timer or sleep() call will wake up much
later than it should. For example, when I start top there should be two
seconds delay between updates of the screen. It takes up to 20 seconds! But
when there is compilation running or something else CPU intensive, the timer
seems to work fine.

I even tried setting different kern.timecounter.hardware (TSC, ACPI-safe,
i8254) and kern.hz (to lower than the default 1000) but that did not help a bit.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the calcru messages apart from
reinstalling to real hardware?

--
Vaclav Haisman