OpenBSD's spamd.

Christopher Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Tue Dec 19 11:38:14 PST 2006

JoaoBR wrote:

> opss, so your spamd must be ports/mail/spamd then, thank's for clarification
>
> I dont know if it is a good solution even if it works. I am completly
> satisfied using sendmails ClientRate and greeting delay features and I do not
> need an additional software to take care of.

Well, firstly the effect that I'm looking for is the same as the
greet_delay feature of sendmail. I want the spammers to think that I'm a
spam honeypot that is tarpitting and to go away without sending mail.

Having said that I'm using the same email address that I used in 1994.
Without filtering I would be getting at least 500 messages per day just
as spam. That would be completely unacceptable. During the October
spamfest my spam volume peaked at 800 messages per day. At that volume
it was time to do something since Spam Assassin had to handle each of
those messages. I tripped across the Bob Beck talk from NYBug and
figured that it would be about an hour's worth of my time to implement.
The rest is history.

-- Chris