(Seemingly) Spontaneous rebooting

Joe Holden joe at joeholden.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 06:21:04 PST 2006

Ma wrote:
> I have almost the same reboots on my server. :( And it may reboot
> serval times a day. I'd like to know how to get crash dumps? What is
> added in your rc.conf?
>
> --
> Ma Jie

Hi, I used the rc.conf values as set out in rc,conf(5)

root at claire# grep crash /etc/defaults/rc.conf
dumpdev="NO"            # Device to crashdump to (device name, AUTO, or NO).
dumpdir="/var/crash"    # Directory where crash dumps are to be stored

I set dumpdev to my swap partition, although nothing got dumped,
although I did upgrade it to -CURRENT as i'd exhausted everything else,
and its not crashed since, not wishing to flame/troll/whatever, but 6.x
seems to have a fair few issues.

Ta,
Joe