"swap_pager" loop?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Dec 19 05:51:40 PST 2006

Ken Sallot <ken at astro.ufl.edu> wrote:
 > Yesterday morning I came in to find a 6.2-RC1 server deadlocked in a loop
 > with the following error messages on the console:
 >
 > swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 5, size: 4096

That message is printed when a timeout appears while waiting
for the swap device.  I've seen such problems when the disk
or the controller was dead or malfunctioning.  Are you sure
that your hardware is OK, i.e. no disk errors, good cables
etc.?

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt