Browser plugin problems still exist in 6.2

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 8 06:11:05 PST 2006

Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua> writes:

> Hello!
>
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
>> It still seems to be necessary to patch rtld in order to get the
>> Flash plugin to work (www/linux-flashplugin7) due to the '_dlsym'
>> symbol not being found.
>>
>> I was able to use a smaller patch to do this, see attached (although
>> this may not build with the Intel C compiler).
>> +__strong_reference(dlsym, _dlsym);
>
>   I wonder what's the difference between your one-line patch and one which
> I'm using:
>
> +__weak_reference(dlsym, _dlsym);
>
> Which of them is more correct?

The difference between the two is just that a weak reference can be
overridden by code that links into the library.  In this case, we know
that the outside code (the nvidia driver) doesn't define that symbol
at all -- therefore, there is no practical difference between the two.

When in doubt, I always use a weak symbol.