sshfs/nfs cause server lockup

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:36:34 PST 2006

On 23/11/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 04:38:48PM +0100, s.c.sprong at student.utwente.nl wrote:
> > Chris <chrcoluk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >kris a development on this, someone else posted about a nfs problem
> > >and reading his post some starkling point he made about network cards,
> > >he stated he only gets the bug on sis rl and fxp.
> >
> > Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I think that the 'NFS via TCP' thread
> > covers other bugs, ie the inability to mount NFS v3 over TCP.
> >
> > I've tested the cards above, and the person I replied to encountered the
> > same bug with a bge card. My solution was to remove custom nfs settings
> > in sysctl.conf. I don't know which one was the culprit because I don't
> > have the time to look into it further.
> >
> > My poking uncovered a set of crashing bugs and potentially a livelock.
> > I would agree that NFS is very fragile in RELENG_6.
> > So far <fingers crossed> I've not run into an NFS server deadlock you
> > described.
>
> Are you sure these are NFS problems and not ethernet driver problems?
>
> Kris

Had another lockup today, reattached to screen process to see both
sshfs mounts timed out when running sshfs to remount the terminal
stopped updating, it didnt disconnect me and an ircd running on the
server remained functional and the server responded to pings, however
the terminal was dead and I couldnt login on ssh for a new session, a
ctrl-alt-del also failed to reboot it and it needed a power cycle
again.

I have googled researched and read dozens and dozens of nfs bug
reports where most of them seem to be a problem caused by nfs not
disconnecting properly leaving itself in a bad state, the fix is
usually to reboot.  I am having to reboot weekly more often then my
windows desktop pc, everyone else having no problems with the nfs on
their linux servers having no problems and its hardly inspiring that
the stable freebsd is not stable.  All these problems on google didnt
get fixed no dev attention etc.

So far I have not got my local bsd box up and running yet due to no
keyboard still need parts for it.

Chris