16M RAM enough for FreeBSD 6.1?

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Mon Aug 28 13:25:37 UTC 2006

Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:13:12 +0200
> Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
>
> For information: I'm still trying to find a sodimm card for this
> machine, as everything would be easier if it had more memory.
> We'll see how I manage that; here in Norway it is not so easy to find
> things like that, and transport costs from the US are prohibitive for
> a hobby budget.
>
> > I moved the harddisk into a more powerful machine,
> > installed FreeBSD there, build a lighter kernel and
> > put the disk back.
>
> Are there any FAQ's arounf for things I can safely remove from a 6.1
> kernel?

I don't think so, but usually the comments are enough to decide
if you need something or not. The man pages help with the rest.

> > In your case it's probably easier to create a disk image
> > in Qemu, copy it to a CD and then use something that
>
> Hmm, I'm not very familiar with Qemu. A quick web search didn't turn up
> any obvious pointers on how to create a ISO image from a qemu image, or
> how to make an ISO image from the (currently running) Qemu image.

You can burn the Qemu image like every other file, you can even burn it
directly without putting it into an ISO file first. You should stop Qemu
first though, otherwise you might end up with an inconsistent image.

If you only want to replace a partition, you can load the image
with mdconfig to extract the partition you need.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/