NFS locking: lockf freezes (rpc.lockd problem?)

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:56:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:17:34PM +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >For debugging purposes, tcpdump of the corresponding communications
> >would be quite useful. Besides this, output of ps auxww | grep 'rpc\.'
> >may be interesting.
>
> Um.  How interesting would tcpdump be?  I'm prepared to do the work, but
> as I've never used the tool, it may take me some effort and time to figure
> out the right commands.  Yes: `man tcpdump | wc -l` == 1543.  Fancy
> giving me a sample command to try?
On server,
tcpdump -p -s 1500 -w file -i <iface> host <client host ip>
This is assuming you use ethernet with usual MTU, iface is interface where
communication with client comes from.

> As for the other test, let's have a look.  Here we are before the test
> (NFS server, 4.11, is saturn, test machine, 6.1, is venus):
>
> saturn$ ps auxww | grep rpc\\.
My fault, better use ps axlww.
> Well, how odd: as soon as I start the test process 515 on venus goes away.
> Now to wait for it to fail... (doesn't take too long):
Yes, this is very interesting. Does something appears in the logs ?
Also, you shall use -d option of rpc.lockd (and show the output together
with tcpdump output).