16M RAM enough for FreeBSD 6.1?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 27 01:46:55 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have an old laptop, a Compaq Armada 1580DMT, with 16M RAM, 2GB hd,
floppy and CD-rom. It doesn't have built in networking, neither wired
nor wireless. It does have PC card slots. It has had FreeBSD 4.9-release
installed a long time, and was recently upgraded to 4.11-release from
CD, sucessfully.

However, I would like better pccard support, ie. 32 bit cardbus and
wireless network cards, so I would like to install 6.1-release (or
-stable) on it.
However, when I try the 6.1-release CD (CD1), it boots as far as

I have also tried 6.0-release, and 7.0-current (both July 06 and Aug 06
snapshots) with the same results.

Are 16 Megs of RAM to little to install FreeBSD 6.0 or newer?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,