installword with DESTDIR=/nfs doesn't work?

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Sat Aug 26 19:27:38 UTC 2006

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 07:02:09PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just tried to do a "make installworld" with DESTDIR set
>> to a directory on an NFS server.  It broke like this:
>>
>> ===> lib/libcom_err/doc (install)
>> lockf -k /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir  install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."  --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir
>> lockf: cannot open /mnt/data/6.1-TEST/original-tree/usr/share/info/dir: Operation not supported
>> *** Error code 73
>> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/doc.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Am I missing something?  Is installworld over NFS supported
>> at all?  I could swear I have done it before ...
>>
> Yes.  From build(7):
>
> :      installworld     Install everything built by a preceding buildworld step
> :                       into the directory hierarchy pointed to by make(1) vari-
> :                       able DESTDIR.
> :
> :                       If installing onto an NFS file system, make sure that
> :                       rpc.lockd(8) is running on both client and server.  See
> :                       rc.conf(5) on how to make it start at boot time.

Well my problem was that the system I wanted to overwrite had a defect
CDrom, but was still running something like 4.x without rpc.lockd really
working. Why don't know ....

But since I was desperate to upgrade I stopped the installprocess to
replace lockf with a dud shellscript. That got me thru.

I'm sure it is needed for one reason or another, but would be nice it
one could overrule it.

--WjW