[AMD64-SMP] I can't get my cpus working at 100%

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 21:10:32 UTC 2006

Hi there,

On 24/08/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
[...]
> How do you know the applications are running with two threads?
> Presumably you need to specify the amount of parallelism.
>
> Kris

To make matters worse you can't even tell if an application running
with several threads uses more then one CPU. Originally, threading was
implemented with single CPU systems in mind, especially in regard to
shares memory and things like this.
A nice example of a program being able to do threading, but one CPU
(core) only is python.
So you don't only want to know how many threads an application is
working with, but on what cores they are processed. You might want to
man ps for a list of possible option, I don't have a SMP system at
hand, but i think ps -aHl might be suitable.