suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Wed Aug 23 08:01:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server.
Given all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at the CeBIT
I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8.
With that I bought a ASUS serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core opteron.

In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my home. ;)

However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the PCI-X
boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan. I've RMA-ed the card,
but my guess is that it'll take a too long a time to fix/replace it for my
patience.

So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've seen that
the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about Promisse or Highpoint
RAID controllers?

Thanx,
--WjW