ATA problems again ... general problem of ICH7 or ATA?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Aug 20 17:51:32 UTC 2006

Greg Byshenk wrote:
[...]
> I am not sure if it is related, but...  I experienced a similar sort of
> problem, although the details in my case are quite different.
>
> What was similar was that I would "lose" two ATA drives from an array,
> inexplicably.  Reconfiguring the same drives and rebuilding would cause
> them to work perfectly again -- for some number of days, after which
> the same failure would occur.
>
> What is different is that this was with a 3Ware RAID controller --
> which made removing/raconfiguring/rebuilding much easier -- but I was
> seeing the exact same errors.
>
> This happened four times (with the same errors that have been discussed
> here), running 6.1 STABLE as of June 22.  Before attempting to RMA the
> drives, I tried an updated kernel, 6.1 STABLE as of July 19.  Strangely
> enough, the problems disappeared.
>
> So, while I have not checked everything that has changed, it _might_ be
> worth trying 6.1 STABLE...

I have problems with 6.1-RELEASE same as with 6.1-STABLE from August 2.
I can try newer STABLE, but as I see on cvsweb, there are not much
changes in ATA driver sources, only new chipsets added.

It is strange to me, that I can see significant changes of read/write
speed. (I am running nonstop tests with writing disk full of files,
delete them, and start again + generating graphs) Speed vary from
2.5MB/s to 11MB/s by jumps. Not continuous from the lowest to the
highest. Writing is for example 3MB/s for 20 hours, then jump to 10MB/s
and after some time (6 - 20 hours) jump down to about 3MB/s.
After some days of testing, disk disappear, system reboots itself,
resynchronize gmirror and work for next few days till the next disk lose.
Also earlier synchronization was done after 1:30 hour (at about 30MB/s),
now synchronization run at lower speeds - from 2.5MB/s to 15MB/s, so the
whole synchronization is done after more then 5 hours (the longest was
20 hours to synchronize 250GB HDDs)

I don't know what more can I test, what more could be done to solve
these problems. :(

Any help will be appreciated

Miroslav Lachman