make buildworld does nothing

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 20 08:16:26 UTC 2006

Tom Hummel wrote:

> alright, it was bash :( stupid shell.

Um, sorry, let's not blame the shell for the BCK (between chair and
keyboard) problem. Lots of us use bash as our everyday shell (for privileged
and unprivileged users) without the kinds of problems you described. The
first thing I do when I install a new freebsd machine is to change root's
shell to /bin/sh, and copy over my customized .profile which either execs
bash if it finds it, or sets up sh with my aliases, etc.

If you'd like help figuring out where you went wrong, we'll be glad to help
you, but let's not pretend that the shell is at fault.

Doug